Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Watercolouring

centercenter
I thought I would show you a technique called watercolouring. Basically, it is colouring in a black and white stamped image (or a one colour image). Images that have plenty of white areas are prefect for this technique. As an example, some of the stamp sets that lend themselves well to watercolouring are:
  • Holiday Lineup (page 26)
  • Boatloads of Love & Loads of Love (and their accessory stamps) (pages 38 & 39)
  • Pun Fun (page 41)
  • Animal Crackers (page 52)
  • Bloomin' with Beauty (page 79)
  • Dreams du Jour (page 80)
  • Fifth Avenue Floral (page 82)
  • Bloom away (page 88)
......and many MANY more. Please don't think that this list is exhaustive. I simply didn't want to take up this whole post listing every stamp set that can be watercoloured.

As you can see from my example, the beauty of watercolouring is that you don't have to be exact when it comes to staying within the lines. In fact, I kind of think that it looks better a little messy.

How I went about completing this, is I stamped my image onto watercolour paper first. This is a great paper to use with watercolouring because the paper absorbs a lot more water or liquid than ordinary paper or cardstock and doesn't "ball" when you smudge backwards and forwards. It also doesn't tend to warp like other papers do. It is a little more expensive than the regular cardstocks, but you only use small amounts and it really does go a long way.

So after stamping the image (use StazOn for ink that doesn't run when wet), I picked up some colour from various Stampin' Up! ink pads by squeezing down on the lid, transferring some of the ink to the inside of the lid, and then using a blender pen (lovin' these!) I simply brushed the ink onto the image like I was colouring it in. So simple. If you want deeper colour, just pick up more ink. If you want lighter colour, after inking up the blender pen, just scribble on some scratch paper before colouring in the stamped image.

The set I have used here is one of the hostess gifts (level 3) called "Window Dressing".

If you would like to learn how to do watercolouring on your own cards, then give me a call and we can arrange to run a workshop at your place where I will happily demonstrate this wonderful - and effective - technique. It is very easy and essentially makes a Monet out of us all!!

Just a reminder about my Upsy daisy class. It is on THIS SATURDAY and I only have 2 spots left. If you would like to come along, contact me ASAP. Please don't hesitate because you think that you won't know anyone and you're not sure if you can do it. I have a number of new ladies to this class and trust me, you WILL produce a stunning array of cards!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam - good to see that things are going well... missing you onm the forums but it looks like you have been busy

    ReplyDelete