Friday, February 17, 2012

Little boy card

It seems to be a problem for everyone....making little boys cards.  There are a range of stamps and embellishments in the IB&C that are suitable for this genre, but I also struggle.


So when the urge and creativity hit me, I tend to go with it and make up a card, even if I don't need it right now.  Better to have it on hand.....

I stamped the Triceratops in Always Artichoke on Whisper White cardstock and then added colour with a dauber on select pastel colours to achieve a more subtle coloured-in effect. 
This cute little card is SUPER SIMPLE.  All I used was some DSP, 1 stamp set and some of the Stampin' Up! pastels.  I hadn't pulled these out for sometime, so this was a great opportunity for me.  As I said, this card is simple and this is really the focus.  As much as we would love the recipients of our cards to drool over them and keep them forever, the reality is that.....little boys don't care!  They like you more for the present you give.  Sigh....or is that just mine!  Anyway, I don't really see the point in using up ALL of your creativity stores on small boys cards.  Sure, you want them to look good and reflect your craft, but weigh up the circumstances.

Some of you might not agree with what I have just said, and that is fine.  Knock your socks off with a superbly created card.  Each to his/her own.  All I am saying is that we don't have to get too hung up on making handmade cards for certain age groups and that by simplifying the process, we can make some pretty great projects.

So what are some of the stamp sets that Stampin' Up! have that are suitable for boys aged 3 - 10?  Well, for my money I think:

  • Ain't Love Grand (hostess) p12
  • Elebration (a la carte) p15 
  • Under the Big Top p33
  • Up, Up and Away p33
  • Got Treats p35
  • Take a Spin p36
  • Create a Cupcake p36
  • Bring on the Cake p38
  • Party this Way p39
  • Loads of Love p41
  • Something Sweet p42
  • A Little Treat p43
  • Every Little Bit p46 (various stamps)
  • Button Buddies p47
  • Make a Monster p56
  • Fox and Friends p58
  • Dinoroar p59
  • I Dig You p59
  • Look Who's Turning p61
  • a number of background stamps
  • a heap of wheel stamps

What about embellishments?  Well how about:

  • Treat Cups p126
  • Pocketful of Posies DSP p128 (various sides)
  • Just Add Cake DSP p129
  • Big Top Birthday DSP p130
  • Big Top Birthday Quick Accents p131
  • Party Animal Simply Scrappin' kit p133
  • Clips Assortment p141
  • Vintage Trinkets p141
  • Mini Library Clips p141
  • Jumbo Brads p143
  • Metallic brads p143

As you can see, there are heaps of things that you can use on little boys cards.  Let your imagination guide you!

Materials used:
Stamp - Dinoroar
Paper - Just Add Cake DSP, Whisper White & Baja Breeze cardstocks
Ink - Always Artichoke, Soft Suede
Other - Daubers, Pastels, Big Shot, Circle #2 die, Scallop edge punch, dimensionals

No comments:

Post a Comment