Friday, May 3, 2013

Design Team entry for CASE Study


Because there are times that even the most talented crafter needs inspiration from others, a number of blogs and websites have popped up to provide just that.  Inspiration.  They range in formats, but they are a great source of ideas, views and product usage.  They stretch our minds and our crafting talents.  They make us better scrappers or cardmakers.  They help us use our tools more, they teach us new tricks.  They improve the techniques that we use and they often have use thinking of using stock standard products in different ways.

Often I look back at cards and scrapbook pages I completed 5 years ago and marvel at how far I have come.  A great deal of my "look" comes from the numerous artists that I follow and model my creations on.  I would like to think that someone, somewhere out there in blogland, looks at my artwork and uses it as inspiration.

One such website is Case Study.  They are currently on the lookout for new design team members and I feel that I am finally in a place that I want to try out.  I finally think my creations have "what it takes". So I am throwing my hat into the ring, putting myself out there and hoping that the girls at Case Study also think I  - and my artwork - am worthy to be raised to this level (because this is secretly one of my goals....to be  a DT member on such a website!).

So, without further ado, here is my entry:
Henry's birth thankyou cards



Case Study is all about "Muses" - you know, one person that really inspires you.  I personally have a few that do it for me and I like to combine things from all of them.  Rarely, a creation that I see and wish to CASE (Copy And Share Everything) ever comes out looking exactly the same, largely because I take a bit of one thing, add another, and another and then add my own tastes, flourishes and touches and WaaaLaaa.....my finished product!

But I had to identify one muse, and quite clearly, for this one, my Muse is Ashely Cannon Newell.  Ashley is a DT member over at Papertrey Ink.  She does some lovely work and of her vintagey type creations, I love her attention to detail and the way things all come together and work well.
You can see how I used Ashley's example and stuck reasonably close.  I changed her design a bit by stamping on the back of the photo with the same teddy stamp I used for the front, in order to link the card and the envelope.  I also used one of the SU! alphabet dies (now retired) to create Henry's initial for the front of the envelope.

Doing something like this was fantastic, because at the time of creating these thankyou cards, Henry was just a few weeks old and my time was simply not my own.  The response I received from people that either received on, or saw one, was so encouraging and positive.  The thankyou was also presented differently to the 'usual' postcard that we tend to get these days.

If you don't use the internet as inspiration, then I strongly encourage you do do so.  You just never know how your crafting can develop.

Ok.....wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, these are too sweet! Wonderful job :) Thank you for the kind words, we're glad that you tried! That's what it's all about, taking the courage :)

    ReplyDelete