Saturday, July 13, 2013

Some feedback on Illuminate ink

We have had the Illiuminate ink for nearly year now and I have quite enjoyed using it on various layouts and cards....especially masculine ones as it adds a hint of grungy-ness to the project (see the "My Boys" scrapbook layout HERE which used the illuminate ink).

We have recently seen the retirement of the shimmer paints (champagne, frost white and platinum) from the previous catalogue which has left some of us bereft as we heavily used the champagne in particular in our squirty bottles and misters.  When combined with isocol rubbing alcohol, it gave a wonderful glitter to our projects.  At Christmastime, I think just about EVERY project of mine got this treatment.

However, now SU! doesn't stock these paints we have to look to alternatives.  I had been told (and had read on various demonstrator sites) that if you mix the Illuminate reinker with isocol it will do the same job.  I never really experimented before because I always had access to the champagne shimmer paint.  However, push has come to shove and I had to give it a go.

So, my last order contained an illuminate refill.

My experience is that it is NOT to same as using the champagne shimmer paint.  You are not going to get the same glittery effect and it certainly won't be as eyecatchingly dazzling.  The illuminate mix gives you a frosted look (probably more like the frost white/isocol mix) or a pearly look.  It is really lovely and whilst I have only used it so far on strawberry slush cardstock, I think it would work particularly well on darker ones such as elegant eggplant, always artichoke, raspberry ripple, cherry cobbler etc..

I actually like the soft look that this mix gives and will definitely be using it more often.  The softness that it has, allows for a broader range of uses as it is not so 'in your face' as the glittery look was.

I will load some pictures later on that show the difference between the shimmer paints and the illuminate ink (used on both darker and lighter cardstock).  However, I suggest that if you are looking for the glittery effect, you should investigate where you might be able to source the shimmer paints which are made by Tsukineko (a reputable maker of inks and paints).

No comments:

Post a Comment