Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Bon Bons and decorations

Ok.  I have jumped on the band wagon and got into making the Christmas Bon Bons which are created by using the new Envelope Punch Board!  Yes, who would've thought?  Well.....someone more crafty than me, that's for sure.  Because I didn't come up with this idea - I merely copied it from someone else.  If you want to make these yourself, simply Google "Christmas Cracker Stampin Up" and a heap of YouTube videos and blog posts will come up.  There are a few.....choose which one suits you.
HOWEVER....one thing I did come up with myself (and I am a bit pleased about this!) is the little decoration that I added on my bon bon.  I just made this by gluing the little offcuts from the Envelope Punch Board when you make your bon bon.  I just glued each bit back to back.  The little ornament shaped bits will be prescored down the middle so all you need to do is add glue.  And a string or ribbon if you wish.  You can make them like I did and have them a full 'ornament' or you can halve the number of bits you use and make them a half ornament that you can adhere flat on the bon bon (or card).

I added a full pearl to the top of the ornament after I had threaded some linen thread through (this pearl was a leave over from the now retired pretties kit that we used to have....but any bead or pearl will work just fine).  I also ran some Tombow glue down the side and the sprinkled liberally with Dazzling Diamonds. Wahla!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tVGckrlYHw
Here is a link to a YouTube video (there are also heaps of these) that show you how to make the Christmas Ornament that was on the cover of last year's Holiday Catalogue.  The way you fold and glue the the individual pieces together to make this ornament is essentially what I used to make mine.  Except in this case, my score lines where already there.

If none of this makes sense, let me know.  I'll step you through it!

Let me finish off by giving you a few words of advice on creating these bon bons:

  1. You can make ANY size you like....DON'T be limited by the measurements given in the YouTube videos you watch
  2. Regardless of the size, make sure that the score lines that you have that go down the length of the paper or cardstock you are using are AT LEAST 1" (or 2.5cm).  These score lines will dictate the width of each of the 'faces' of the bon bon.  If the score lines are less than 1" you will find that when you come to use the Envelope Punch Board, there will not be enough paper between each punch and you will simply punch off the ends.  I worked this out after demolishing two.  Sigh....
  3. You will need at least 1" at either end to make it look right.  More if it is a bigger bon bon.  
  4. Cardstock will be sturdier, but DSP works just as well.
  5. If you are going to stamp directly on the bon bon, do it BEFORE you stick it together.
  6. Don't skimp on the adhesive.  Use Sticky Strip.  You don't want these buggers popping open on you!
  7. If you want help with measurements, contact me....I'd be happy to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment