Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Second last day for week of Everyday Impressions!

Phew...up to day 6 already (notwithstanding the break in transmission thanks to the cuppa!!)

Today was a hard day.  A. VERY. HARD. DAY. Inspiration was sitting there for me and I knew EXACTLY what to do.  However, there are times in all our creative lives, when how we image something in our mind, simply does not transfer to paper.  Darn it.

This was one of those times.

To give you a look at the project -
This is the inspiration.....
a candle from our bathroom...hence the crinkled label!
...and here is the card.

Ok, you're probably thinking that I have done pretty well.  BUT.  There are a number of things wrong with this....so much so, this card will no doubt be taken apart and the base at least, be used for something else.  Normally, I would never put such a crappy card on my blog, however, I think it is important that you see that even us demos have rotten days where things do not go to plan and the card is a bit of a failure.

Let me talk you through the blunders.

  1. In trying to partly cut out the label (using the Deco Labels framelit), I found that it was impossible to actually see where I had to cut to and as such, the label itself is not cut evenly
  2. When I went to emboss the white onto the Bermuda Bay cardstock (up the top), I forgot to swipe the cardstock with my embossing buddy.  hence, white embossing powder clung to parts of the cardstock that it shouldn't have and when I hit it with the heat gun, it stayed there.  Forever.
  3. Then I look at it, and I have embossed the sentiment crooked anyway.
  4. The candle jar has silver and I was able to replicate this well with the card base, however, there was just too much fiddling about for me to get a fine frame in silver paper.  And unlike the first Everyday Impressions card I did (click here), I had used the smallest framelit already to do the cutting, so I didn't have another size down to run a silver pen around and get a nice even line on the inside.  So I had to wing it and freehand the silver line around the entire shape.  And I was not great at that.
  5. And the silver pen didn't actually show up all that well on the Bermuda Bay cardstock, and it looks grey on the Pool Party.  Sigh.....

But, you can see where I got my inspiration from.  I gave it a red hot go.  Sometimes these things will work, other times they won't.  But you'll never know unless you try.

Come back tomorrow and check out my final 'Everyday Impressions' for this series.  On Friday, I will put up a 'Everyday Impression' for you to do and will provide a linky list to which you can load your finished projects and show us all.  I plan on offering this on a fortnightly basis, so you can play along on a regular basis if you'd like.
Materials used:
Cardstock - Bermuda Bay, Pool Party, Brushed Silver
Stamps - Creative Elements, One in a Million, Pennant Parade
Ink - Marina Mist, Versamark
Other - Silver and White embossing powders, Silver pen, Deco Labels Framelits, small oval punch

No comments:

Post a Comment