Monday, February 10, 2014

Where do you get inspiration?

I couldn't tell you how many hours I have spent - usually breastfeeding babies - where I haven't had much to occupy my mind and as such my mind wanders and I come up with all these weird and wonderful things that I should do.  Sometimes these revolve around the farm and our dairy business, sometimes they will be related to the house and my dreams of our renovations (still dreaming on this one), and of course, many of my thoughts revolve around my crafting.

So often, I look around the baby's room and spy something that I reckon I could "knock off" as a card or scrapbook page.  After all, the packaging on products that we buy has been designed by professional advert agencies and the chances that they are a complete flop are minimal.   Even babies clothes can be drawn from (eg colour combos, various designs etc).

So finally, I have done something about it and for the next little bit, I will be putting up some cards that I have created by drawing inspiration from everyday things around me.

I am going to call this series, "Everyday Impressions".  Along with the card, I will also post the object of my inspiration.  How about you join me and make something of your own from something around your house?
So the other day, I bought some little mini cakes from the supermarket for the kids and the belly band that was on the packaging was just so damn cute...how could I resist?  Here is the belly band....
....and here is my take on it.  See how it works?  Easy.
Obviously, the polka dots featured heavily as did the colour red and the oval shape.  For my card, I have used a number of new items out of the Occasions Catalogue (see below).  I just want to draw your attention to the oval.  See the line on the inside?  Wanna know how I did that?  Well I stamped the sentiment first in Real Red and then cut it out with one of the Oval Framelits keeping it on the angle.  I then grabbed the next sized oval down from the one I used and just used it as a template.  I held it in place and using a Real Red marker, simply drew around the inside.  Easy!

Stay tuned tomorrow for another Everyday Impressions.

Materials used:
Cardstock: Coastal Cabana, Real Red, Whisper White
DSP: Fresh Prints DSP Stack
Stamp: Perfect Pennants
Ink - Real Red (ink and marker)
Other - Decorative Dots embossing folder, Organza Ribbon, Oval Framelits
Items is PINK are from the Occasions catalogue
Items in ORANGE are form the SAB catalogue

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what I did wrong, looks like I need to comment again.

    Love what you have done with the ovals, the card is stunning. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete