Friday, July 31, 2015

A little challenge

Do you find sometimes that your crafting mojo has just gone?  You would like to do some cardmaking, but it all seems too much to think about a design and colour scheme?  Well how about getting your ideas out of the SU! catalogue?

So I'll set you a bit of a challenge:

  1. Close your eyes
  2. Open up your catalogue
  3. Pop your finger on a page
  4. Recreate the card or project that your finger is on!

I did this today and I recreated the card on pg 109.

Now I actually have all the items to reproduce the card exactly, but I thought I would do it with the idea in mind that I might not own everything.  Just to show you that you can easily recreate a card even if you don't own all - or any - of the items.

For the tag, I cut a peice of watercolour paper 2 inches wide and 4 inches long.  I punched the top of it using one of the tag topper punches.  Then I wet the entire tag thoroughly and using my aquapainter brush, I picked up some of the Watermelon Wonder ink and brushed it on the bottom left side of the tag working upwards and on an angle.  I then dried the tag using my heat gun (you could just as easily wait for it to dry naturally, but I am too impatient!).  I then wet the top right of the tag and this time, I used So Saffron in the same way as the Watermelon ink.  Again I dried to tag with my heat gun.

I stamped in Soft Suede, the honeycomb image from the Butterfly Basics stamp set (p124) a few times after stamping off first to give some depth to the background.  Then I gave the whole tag a good going over with my embossing buddy.  I did this because the tag was still slightly dampish and I didn't want the gold embossing powder to stick to places I didn't want.

Inking up the verse from the Butterfly Basics set in Versamark, I then sprinkled and heat set in gold embossing powder.  All I did to finish off the tag, was add a stamped small butterfly in So Saffron (and punched out) and the larger butterfly in Watermelon Wonder (cut out using Butterfly thinlits), some of the stitched stain ribbon and linen thread.

The background is embossed using the Arrows embossing folder, which is the same as the card in the catalogue.

Rarely I make a card EXACTLY the same as the one I am copying in the catalogue.  This is really not for any other reason than I tend to want to change the colour or the sentiment to suit the reason for making the card in the first place.  And you should do the same.

So take a fresh look at the catalogue (and past catalogues too!) and get your cardmaking mojo going!!

No comments:

Post a Comment